1. Remove completely defrosted ham from fridge about 60 minutes prior to cooking. Mix all ingredients except whole cloves and maple syrup in a dish and use your hands to evenly coat the ham with the spice mix.
2. Preheat oven to 325F. Line a large roasting pan with tin foil and set aside.
3. Place spice covered ham on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to make 1" diagonal slices (about 1/4" deep)into the layer of exposed fat. Repeat in the other direction to make a diamond pattern.
4, Place one whole clove in the middle of each diamond.
5. Move ham to roasting pan and place in the oven. Bake, undisturbed for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
6. Remove roasting pan and baste ham with 1/2 of the maple syrup. Return to oven and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
7. Remove and raise heat to 450F. Baste ham with remaining maple syrup and return to oven for an additional 15 minutes. If there are any very dark spots that you think may burn, fold a small piece of tin foil into a square and gently cover those spots.