- Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place shredded coconut on parchment lined baking sheet in the oven for 5 mins, stirring frequently until lightly toasted. (Be careful! Shredded coconut browns VERY quickly!) Pour into a bowl, and set aside both the coconut and the lined baking sheet. TURN OVEN DOWN TO 300.
3. Mix dry cookie ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix wet ingredients - sweetener, coconut oil & vanilla - until combined. Whisk into dry ingredients to form cookie dough.
4. Use an even tablespoon to roll out uniform dough balls. Flatten balls between palms, then, place flattened dough-rounds onto parchment lined baking sheet. Use fingers to finish forming & shaping cookies, then, use an apple corer (or your finger) to punch a hole in the center of your cookie. Poke holes in the cookies with toothpicks to prevent them from rising.
5. Bake cookies at 300 for 20 mins until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
6. While baking cookies, make caramel. Whisk coconut cream & tapioca flour together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sweetener, vanilla, and salt and bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
7. Reduce heat to med low and continue to let simmer/bubble, still whisking, until thickened and caramelized.
8. After about 15 mins, once caramel is thick & darkened in color, mix in toasted coconut flakes and set aside to cool.
9. Melt chocolate over double boiler or in a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
10. Dip bottom of cooled cookies into melted chocolate and place onto parchment lined tray. When all cookies have been dipped, chill the entire tray in the freezer for 3-5 mins. Keep the melted chocolate warm & on standby while you finish up the cookies.
11. Use a teaspoon to evenly distribute caramel onto cookies - 1 heaping/rounded teaspoon of coconut-caramel per cookie.
12. Place caramel covered cookies onto a wire rack on top of a sheet tray. Pour remaining melted chocolate into a ziploc bag with the tip of a corner cut off OR a piping bag. Drizzle chocolate over cookies and quickly chill again to harden chocolate.
13. Store between parchment/wax paper in refrigerator OR freezer. (They'll stay good for several months in the freezer!) Bring to room temp/thaw 5-10 mins before serving.